GOALS is an evidenced-based treatment method for cognitive rehabilitation that targets executive functioning by focusing on two main components: regulation of distractibility and the application of learned skills to self-made goals. GOALS treatment approach has been implemented to assist veterans with traumatic brain injury (TBI) and their resulting cognitive-communication disorders.
Communication Sciences and Disorders | Speech and Hearing Science | Speech Pathology and Audiology
1. Cherney, L.R., Gardner, P., Logemann, J.A., Newman, L.A., O’Neil-Pirozzi, T. Roth, C.R., & Solomon, N.P. (2010). The role of speech-language pathology and audiology in the optimal management of the service member returning from Iraq or Afghanistan with a blast-related head injury: Position of the communication sciences and disorders clinical trials research group. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 25(3), 219-224. https://doi.org/10.1097/HTR.0b013e3181dc82c1.
2. Cornis-Pop, M., Mashima, P., Roth, C., MacLennan, D., Picon, L., Hammond, C., Goo-Yoshino, S., Isaki, E., Singson, M., & Frank, E.M. (2012). Cognitive-communication rehabilitation for combat-related mild traumatic brain injury. JRRD, 49(7), xi-xxxi. https://doi.org/10.1682/jrrd.2012.03.0048.
3. French, L.M. & Parkinson, G.W. (2008). Assessing and treating veterans with traumatic brain injury. Journal of Clinical Psychology: In Session, 64(8), 1004-1012. https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.20514.
4. Maruyama, B.A., Abrams, G., Kornblith, E., Posecion, L.F., McQuaid, J.R., Neylan, T.C., Groberio, J., Chen, A.J.W., & Novakovic-Agopian, T. (2021). Improvement in executive functioning after goal-oriented attentional self-regulation training is associated with reduction in PTSD hyperarousal symptoms among veterans with comorbid PTSD and mild TBI. Applied Neuropsychology: Adult. https://doi.org/10.1080/23279095.2021.1960531.
5. Mattson, E.K., Nelson, N.W., Sponheim, S.R., & Disner, S.G. (2019). The impact of PTSD and mTBI on the relationship between subjective and objective deficits in combat-exposed veterans. Neuropsychology, 33(7), 913-921. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/neu00000560.
6. Norman, R.S., Swan, A.A., Jenkins, A., Ballard, M., Amuan, M., & Pugh, M.J. (2020). Updating and refining prevalence rates of traumatic brain injury-related communication disorders among post-9/11 veterans: A chronic effects of neurotrauma consortium study. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_PERSP-20-00011.
7. Novakovic-Agopian, T., Chen, A.J.W., Rome, S., Abrams, G., Castelli, H., Rossi, A., McKim, R., Hills, N., & D’Esposito, M. (2011). Rehabilitation of executive functioning with training in attention regulation applied to individually defined goals: A pilot study bridging theory, assessment, and treatment. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 26(5), 325-338. https://doi.org/10.1097/HTR.0b013e3181f1ead2.
8. Novakovic-Agopian, T., Kornblith, E., Abrams, G., Burciaga-Rosales, J., Loya, F., D’Esposito, M., & Chen, A.J.W. (2018). Training in goal-oriented attention self-regulation improves executive functioning in veterans with chronic traumatic-brain injury. Journal of Neurotrauma, 35, 2784-2795. https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2017.5529.
9. Novakovic-Agopian, T., Kornblith, E., Abrams, G., McQuaid, J.R., Posecion, L., Burciaga, J., D’Esposito, M., & Chen, A.J.W. (2019). Long-term effects of executive function training among veterans with chronic TBI. Brain Injury, 33(12), 1513-1521. https://doi.org/10.1080/02699052.2019.1645357.
10. Novakovic-Agopian, T., Posecion, L., Komblith, E., Abrams, G., McQuaid, J.R., Neylan, T.C., Burciago, J., Joseph, J., Carlin, G., Groberio, J., Maruyama, B., & Chen, A.J.W. (2021). Goal-oriented attention self-regulation training improves executive functioning in veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder and mild traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurotrauma, 38, 582-592. https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2019.6806.
11. Picon, L. & MacLennan, D. (2017). Speech-language pathology care for military traumatic brain injury in the department of veterans affairs. Perspective of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 2(1), 31-45. https://doi.org/10.1044/persp2.SIG2.31.
College of Education and Allied Health
Communication Disorders and Deaf Education
Master of Science (MS)
Fontbonne University Archives
St. Louis, MO
Murphy, Alissa, "Goal-Oriented Attentional Self-Regulation (GOALS) Treatment for Cognitive Rehabilitation of Veterans with TBI" (2022). 2022 SLP Posters. 4.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.