Challenges in auditory comprehension ability are some of the most crippling aspects of aphasia. The degree to which auditory comprehension is impacted by aphasia is variable, can be inconsistent, and may depend on the severity of the neural damage. ‘High-level’ aphasic patients can be dismissed or go unnoticed due to ignorance of symptoms, passing scores on standardized assessments, and the frequent, inconspicuous nature of a mild-moderate diagnosis. Understanding deficits in mild-moderate aphasia related to auditory comprehension could aid in choosing beneficial communication modalities for conversation partners to use during intervention, interactions, and daily activities.
Auditory comprehension, Mild aphasia, Moderate aphasia, Mild-moderate aphasia, Subtle language impairments, Auditory comprehension ability, Auditory comprehension impairments, Brain injury, Understanding language, Processing language
Communication Sciences and Disorders | Speech and Hearing Science | Speech Pathology and Audiology
1. Armstrong, E., Fox, S., & Wilkinson, R. (2013). Mild Aphasia: Is This the Place for an Argument? American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 22(2). https://doi.org/10.1044/1058-0360(2012/12-0084)
2. Cavanaugh, R., & Haley, K. L. (2020). Subjective Communication Difficulties in Very Mild Aphasia. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 29(1S), 437–448. https://doi.org/10.1044/2019_ajslp-cac48-18-0222
3. Chiou, H. S., & Yu, V. Y. (2018). Measuring Life Participation, Communicative Confidence, Language, and Cognition in People with Aphasia. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 3(2), 4–12. https://doi.org/10.1044/persp3.sig2.4
4. Frederick, A., Jacobs, M., Adams-Mitchell, C. J., & Ellis, C. (2022). The Global Rate of Post-Stroke Aphasia. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 7(5), 1567–1572. https://doi.org/10.1044/2022_persp-22-00111
5. Fze, B. B. (2023, January 16). Treatment Methods of Auditory Comprehension in Individuals with Aphasia. UKEssays. Retrieved March 4, 2023, from https://www.ukessays.com/essays/linguistics/treatment-methods-of-auditory-comprehens ion-in-individuals-with-aphasia.php
6. Knollman-Porter, K., Wallace, S. E., Brown, J. A., Hux, K., Hoagland, B. L., & Ruff, D. R. (2019). Effects of Written, Auditory, and Combined Modalities on Comprehension by People with Aphasia. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 28(3), 1206–1221. https://doi.org/10.1044/2019_ajslp-19-0013
7. Lwi, S. J., Herron, T. J., Curran, B. C., Ivanova, M. V., Schendel, K., Dronkers, N. F., & Baldo, J. V. (2021). Auditory Comprehension Deficits in Post-Stroke Aphasia: Neurologic and Demographic Correlates of Outcome and Recovery. Frontiers in Neurology, 12. https://doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2021.680248
8. Marshall, R. C., & English, L. (2004). Functional Strategies to Enhance Auditory Comprehension of Persons with Aphasia for Neurologic Physical Therapists. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy, 28(3), 138–144. https://doi.org/10.1097/01253086-200409000-00006
9. Simmons-Mackie, N., & Cherney, L. R. (2018). Aphasia in North America: highlights of a white paper. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 99(10), e117.
10. Sutton, M. (2022, July 13). Mild Aphasia - Treat Using Speech Therapy Apps at ome or in Clinic. Tactus Therapy. Retrieved March 4, 2023, from https://tactustherapy.com/using-apps-treat-mild-aphasia/#:~:text=Mild%20aphasia%20m eans%20the%20person,than%2050%25%20of%20the%20time
11. Temporal Lobe. The Temporal Lobe [Neurosurgery Wiki]. (2019). Retrieved March 4, 2023, from https://operativeneurosurgery.com/doku.php?id=temporal_lobe
College of Education and Allied Health
Communication Disorders and Deaf Education
Master of Science (MS)
Fontbonne University Archives
St. Louis, MO
Johnson, Kirsten, "Assessing Auditory Comprehension in Persons with Mild-Moderate Aphasia" (2023). 2023 SLP Posters. 26.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.